Pages

Saturday, March 22, 2014

Dining Out: New Orleans


NOLA is a great city; lots of character, just as everyone says. But, no, I didn't eat beignets or go to Bourbon Street. I went there to do what the hell I wanted to do (i.e. look at museums and visit the cities of the dead). I still see NOLA as a tourist place to chow down, though.
 

Breakfast

Surrey's Cafe & Juice Bar (1418 Magazine St. location): tofu breakfast platter
Served over rice, the tofu is firm, has been pressed, and seasoned with what tasted like soy sauce. In other words, it was actually treated properly so as not to be squishy meh-I'm-eating-this-for-gleaning-protein nonsense. Also, the tomato, mushroom, poblano pepper veggie medley on top is lovely! I added a little hot sauce to a few bites, just for something different while eating. This, happily, sits on your stomach for a while; thus making it good fuel in the tank for wearing out the soles of your shoes and keeping your patience when tripping on the city's uneven pavement.



Slim Goodies - Garden Slammer, sans cheese: Hash browns, vegetarian chili, tofu scramble, and smokey tempeh. (It's not crispy enough to call it tempeh bacon.) 

As is the tradition of greasy spoon Americana, everything was piled high into a mound on the plate and you're offered hot sauce and ketchup to tack on some additional excess calories. The hash browns were very good, the chili was there in the savory background (but didn't knock you over with flavor), the tempeh was pretty good, and the tofu scramble was lackluster. It sort of tasted like there was only turmeric in the scramble, which is terribly insufficient (as this article can attest). I'm not sure what kind of oil was used to cook all of this, so there might be some fake butter in there somewhere with its traces of dairy and whatnot. Note, also, that it's a true greasy spoon place, so it might not actually be suitable for veg*ns.


Lunch

My trip to New Orleans was cut short by weather issues, and while I was there my giant breakfasts didn't render me hungry until late afternoon. However, the reader can always consider happycow.net. I intended to go to Slice (a pizzeria owned by the same folks who opened up Juan's Flying Burrito that also has vegan options), the menu of which says: "Sicilian marinara: vegan friendly with spicy Marinara, grilled eggplant, kalamatas, capers, arugula." ...Sounds really good; damn that 2014 polar vortex!

Additionally, I really wanted to go to Sneaky Pickle, but I was too exhausted to make the trek and not actually hungry at lunch time. (The latter is quite shocking.) If I had gone, I would've gotten the vegan version of the Patty Melt--"your choice of kaiser roll or sourdough bread, multigrain lentil patty, smoked onions, vegan beer cheese, citrus-kale salad, pickles, and fermented chili veganaise." All that sounds absolutely stellar, so I recommend others going to NOLA visit this newly opened restaurant and support it. 


Dinner

Lola - A Taste of Spain starter:  "Ajoblanco -traditional Andalusia almond soup, served cold."
Before I departed my coworker was teasing me about the almond soup turning out to be almond milk. I laughingly replied that I was going to be a little pissed if this was the case. Of course, no, the soup is actually a thick, delectable concoction that I need to learn to make in order to combat the Dog Days of summer where I live. The little bits suspended in the soup are red grape halves, which add freshness and textual contrast.

The very kind server suggested the housemade garlic spread to go with the $0.25 pistolette, and I loved it because I like the flavor of raw garlic. Although, I admit that it might be too strong for some palettes. As the Lonely Planet guide says about this restaurant: "Vampires need not apply."


Entree: "Pisto - Portabella mushroom stuffed with a vegetarian Castilian dish served w/ black beans, rice & asparagus"
Believe it or not, a Portobello mushroom is under that mound of veggie medley/peccadillo, which was well-seasoned. The black beans were mildly spicy and the asparagus tasted pan-seared or grilled. I saved some of the garlic spread and used it for dressing the salad on the side. (You could also mix it with the beans & rice, if you wanted.) All of this was sheer heaven. 

Other

The Saturday before I departed for my short trip to NOLA was when I learned that Wandering Buddha--an establishment tucked in the Hi Ho Lounge that served vegan Korean food (including  much fabled kimchi)--had closed in 2013. I wailed for perhaps thirty minutes before gaining my composure and searching for other options that could possibly fill that void in my meal schedule. That's when I found this article which mentions two: Bhava and Sneaky Pickle. Bhava was so good and a completely vegan restaurant that I had to give it its own post.


No comments:

Post a Comment