Pages

Sunday, October 28, 2012

DCP Food Truck Rodeo

In March, I was out of the country and missed the Durham Food Truck Rodeo in DCP. This time around I got to go, but my lunch selection, Martin's Curry Rice was taken off the vendors list at the last minute. Anyways, I assure you I had backup plans, but it was less satisfying since my mouth was set.

As with all dining out, one can't help but wonder what is in one's food. I feel like I made plenty of vegan "oops" mistakes today, like not thinking twice about a hotdog bun probably having egg in it, or that the sugar in my popsicle probably wasn't vegan. But, these are the risks that one takes when eating out, veganism isn't about purity (for me anyways), and I'll just have to try harder to remember. ...Come to think of it, I found it really disorienting to order through a window--it's been so long!

No Sympathy for the Deli

Peakles--these were exactly what I decided on for an appetizer when I was going through all the online menus. In online reviews, people rave about these and described them as spicy. I really liked them, and could probably crunch down on them all day, but I was expecting visible chile pepper elements and a little bit more burn. Still want them at my next special meal, though.

Mama Duke's

Online reviews also rave about Mama Duke's good sized portions and falafel burger. But, much to my surprise, there were only "falafel dogs" on their menu today. Conceptually it was very strange, so I inquired with the window person and decided it was in fact worth it, which was then reinforced with an unsolicited "falafel tot" sample. (It was nom.)

The dog came with a vinegar-based savory slaw (under the dog), red pepper sauce, and tahini (I asked for no tzatiki); as well as some fried carrot(?) shreds and a sprinkle of raw white and green onion. Good, good stuff. Two rather unique 'hotdogs' for only $7. ...I found myself really wanting some more of that slaw.

Homemade spรคtzle in NC?! Woot!
After much ado about excluding the (au) jus sauce, I finally got it ordered "vegetarian" in the words of the window person, with the sweet potatoes. (It was an amusing exchange whereupon I realized I should have just use the "v" word; especially since the chef's wife is vegetarian and thus hopefully understands when people don't want animal broth in their food.) Anyways, apparently it comes with Parmesan on it, so I was a 'bad' vegan and ate it anyways because I didn't want to waste. It was all kinds of savory goodness.

I recall these sweet potatoes and greens fondly.
LOCOPOPS
Today, on the aqua-based side, they had "Cinnamon and Apple Cider" flavored locopops. If it hadn't been so cold, I'd have probably gotten a second.

Daisy Cakes was also there, but I didn't stop by since I'd been to their shop recently. Nonetheless, in their storefront residence they have the above.

No comments:

Post a Comment