Pages

Saturday, October 3, 2015

DC VegFest 2015

The DC VegFest is basically an expo of all the food products out there for vegans and a chance to eat from your favorite DC restaurants without having to trek all over the city. There are, naturally, fifty bajillion brochures from animal welfare & rights groups, as well as stuff for kids, stuff for people looking to adopt companion animals, and live music. Come for the free samples. There's fancy vegan cheese and casual snacks everywhere.


Yeah Dawg! - the Viva Dog
As a Southerner, a being from the land of hog & hominy, I love hot dogs. This is why I was stoked to see a hot dog sign while I was waiting to enter the venue.

 Their hot dog was pretty firm, not "Tofurkey sausage firm," but this is a hot dog and this should be expected to be softer. Coconut "bacon" was crispy, and thus good for texture, but I wished it was smokey. I liked that they had jalapenos available, which I elected to add to the pineapple.



Heidi-Ho

Vegan NACHO CHEESE. I barely remember what it tasted like, but it was good on a cold day.


Woodland's Vegan Bistro
The country fried steak was savory and sufficiently toothsome. I liked the crispy coating, although traditional country fried steak has a much thicker crust and is usually served with a white gravy. I will say the BBQ sauce was too sweet for my preference.
Their Mac is always delicious. I practically inhale it.




The table at Vegan Treat's stand. They came down from Pennsylvania for the event, and people lined up practically the whole length of the venue to buy from them. I don't have that kind of patience, but I saw some people purchased large catering boxes full of sweets. Their confections must be delicious.




Contents of the goodie bag passed out to the first 1,000 entrants to the venue.


Out of these guides, I learned that COK maintains a Veg Guide to DC, which I wish I would've known sooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment