Pages

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Going to Laos for Indian Food

Although there may only be one completely veg*n restaurant in LPB, there are at least three Indian joints. Two of them I only ate at once, but the smallest one (Nisha) I ate at weekly.

The first dish I had there was curried mixed vegetables. The vegetables included potatoes, carrots, long beans, and black beans.

Chana Masala: I loved this dish, especially when paired with roti. And the chickpea/wheat combo is complete protein!

Paneer is of course an Indian cheese, but at at least two of the restaurants in LPB, the menu described the fried paneer as bits of tofu. I guess they had easier access to tofu than to milk products, since it is my understanding that people in Laos don't consume very much dairy. Anyways, it was still a good snack.

Baigan Bharta: my least favorite Indian dish of the whole trip. Thank goodness I ordered it with rice or I wouldn’t have been able to finish—boring, monotonous texture. For some reason, it also wasn’t as tasty as other things I ate at Nisha.

Aloo Baingan: my favorite Indian dish of the whole trip. 

I ate a lot of samosas. A lot. Of samosas. They became my comfort food; a bit of stability in the constant change from restaurant to restaurant (which I found rather taxing after about a week of eating out for every frickin' meal).

Look at that spice-stuffed interior. Such savory goodness...


Made fresh--thus the long wait time at basically every restaurant in LPB--and apparently stuffed with whatever was lying around in the kitchen. The potato and long bean version is below.


Also in this series: savory foods I ate in Laos & local Laotian foods I had the pleasure and privilege to experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment